A word about Villa Di Mare

History


It is the first hotel in Rhodes, with the original name MIRAMARE; this was the name given by Mario Lago, the Italian Governor General of the Dodecanese then. It first operated in 1925. MIRAMARE was the hotel of the Pashas, the merchants, the industrialists and the Greeks of Egypt. MIRAMARE hosted various Greek and foreign celebrities, such as Eleftherios Venizelos, General Nicholaos Plastiras with their escort, the Patriarchal Vicar of Alexandria, Saint Ilarion of Babylona and then a number of professors and students of German Universities. Hebrews settled in MIRAMARE at the weekends for their feasts. During the Second World War, the Italians utilized it as the Alpini’s Command. After the Italians, the British used it as a Hospital and the Prime Minister of that time Winston Churchill visited it. In 1958, MIRAMARE was rented by Aristotelis Onassis’ brother-in-law, who visited it. In 1959, the first three complexes of bungalows were inaugurated. Anthony Quinn stayed in one of these, when he starred in Forman’s film, “The Guns of Navarone” in Rhodes. In 1997, the old MIRAMARE building was handed over to its initial owners, who established a new company and renovated the original building in 2009, and the bungalows, offering this historic site its original glory under a new name VILLA DI MARE.